[SciPy-dev] Numerical Recipes (was tagging 0.7rc1 this weekend?)

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Dec 16 15:40:12 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Thouis (Ray) Jones
<thouis@broad.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 01:59, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:
>
>> 2.  quickselect in scipy/signal/medianfilter.c
>>
>> Unresolved.
>
> I looked at the NR code for select (2nd ed, page 342).  It was perhaps
> a little too close for comfort, but someone else might disagree.
>
> I rewrote the select algorithm(s) from scratch, referring to the
> Wikipedia page describing quickselect, and tested it against the
> existing functions on a large number of random cases (small and large
> buffers, all the same values, etc.).  It is perhaps a little faster
> than the current version.  It's also written as a single macro that
> expands for the float/double/byte cases, rather than replicating the
> code.

Thanks very much.  This was the code I was most concerned with as
well.  Hopefully, someone will have a chance to review your code over
the next few days.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley