[SciPy-dev] Scipy Tutorial (and updating it)

josef.pktd@gmai... josef.pktd@gmai...
Wed Dec 17 18:35:16 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi> wrote:
> Sat, 13 Dec 2008 18:02:50 -0500, josef.pktd wrote:
>> In both numpy  and scipy chm files I get: The page cannot be displayed
>> The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site
>> might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust
>> your browser settings.
>>
>> contents,search, index work correctly, but the page content is not
>> found.
>
> Interesting. From Gareth Elston's mail it sounds like this is some
> internet explorer protection settings issue. The files work fine with
> Linux-based readers.
>
> Did you save the file first on disk, or opened it directly from the
> browser? Looking at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902225/ this might be
> an issue...
>
>> I decompiled and recompiled in with the html help workshop and it looks
>> pretty good. Search and Index are very fast and helpful.
>
> I'll probably need to check the build process
>
> --
> Pauli Virtanen

Everything works fine after following the instructions to unblock the
security lock. Thanks again.

I tried again saving the file with firefox and IE6. It is blocked, but
both methods on the microsoft web page work:
Method 1

   1. Double-click the .chm file.
   2. In the Open File-Security Warning dialog box, click to clear the
Always ask before opening this file check box.
   3. Click Open.

Method 2

   1. Right-click the CHM file, and then click Properties.
   2. Click Unblock.
   3. Double-click the .chm file to open the file.

>From the description of the security issue, you won't be able to do
something in the build process, but a note on the download page about
this issue would be helpful and avoid questions and surprises like
mine. An alternative would be to put it inside a zip file. I never had
problems with chm files that I downloaded as part of a package, e.g.
python or R packages, so I guess an archive should work.

( I still prefer the smaller font size of the standard help files such
as the one included with a python release. It' easier for me to read
on my medium sized notebook.)

Josef