[SciPy-dev] Sparse feature suggestion: zero-sized sparse matrices

Neilen Marais nmarais@sun.ac...
Mon Feb 11 10:50:33 CST 2008

Hi,

This kind of ties in to the sparse block matrix assembly I brought up
last week. I build up the sparse blocks from different subsystems, but in
some cases some of the subsystems fall away. It would be very convenient
if I could represent the "null" systems simply as zero-sized sparse
matrices that will then make no contribution to the global matrix.

It seems normal numpy arrays support the idea of zero-dimension 2-D
arrays. Would anyone object to this feature in sparse matrices? If not, I
could try to cook up a patch.

Thanks
Neilen