[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Feb 28 14:10:55 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  >  But all of that would be incredibly stupid of us. Our support of scipy
>  >  has been one of the most substantial advertisements for our consulting
>  >  services. For a long time, it was our *only* advertisement.
>
>  All good reasonable points.  I guess the call here is whether charging
>  companies and government institutions for the bundle will have a small
>  enough deterrent effect on those trying out scientific python to be an
>  insignificant barrier to its uptake,

To the contrary, we've found that it reduces the hesitation of these
institutions to adopt Python substantially. IT departments *hate*
deploying dozens of random things from various internet sources with
no support.

We are providing an *additional* service to what is currently
available. It's not like we're reducing what is currently freely
available.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."