[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Thu Feb 28 14:15:06 CST 2008

Hi,

>  >  All good reasonable points.  I guess the call here is whether charging
>  >  companies and government institutions for the bundle will have a small
>  >  enough deterrent effect on those trying out scientific python to be an
>  >  insignificant barrier to its uptake,
>
>  To the contrary, we've found that it reduces the hesitation of these
>  institutions to adopt Python substantially. IT departments *hate*
>  deploying dozens of random things from various internet sources with
>  no support.

With the bundle - yes of course.  I mean, if the bundle becomes the
defacto standard for deploying python, numpy etc, and the charges
worry people, then they may be less likely to try it.  I've no idea
whether that will be a big factor - I guess it's difficult to say.

Matthew