[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Thu Feb 28 14:36:06 CST 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  With the bundle - yes of course.  I mean, if the bundle becomes the
>  >  defacto standard for deploying python, numpy etc, and the charges
>  >  worry people, then they may be less likely to try it.  I've no idea
>  >  whether that will be a big factor - I guess it's difficult to say.
>
>  For example - imagine the following scenario.  Someone moderately
>  junior has just joined a company or government institution.  They
>  become keen on python, start playing with python, VTK and so on, and
>  try and persuade others in the company to try it.  If they find they
>  have to ask the accounts people for money before they install the
>  bundle, or they have to build it all from scratch, they may not, which
>  means lost users.

Without EPD, they only have the latter alternative, so I'm not really
sure how the presence of EPD can harm anything.

Let me be clear on one thing which people may be fearing: we will not
stop making separate, freely available binary releases of numpy and
scipy. Nor will we stop anyone else from making such binaries.

We are interested in making money by *adding* services, not holding
them hostage.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."