[SciPy-dev] ANN: Enthought Python Distribution - Beta

Fri Feb 29 00:49:38 CST 2008

Matthew Brett wrote:
>>  With the bundle - yes of course.  I mean, if the bundle becomes the
>>  defacto standard for deploying python, numpy etc, and the charges
>>  worry people, then they may be less likely to try it.  I've no idea
>>  whether that will be a big factor - I guess it's difficult to say.
>>

> For example - imagine the following scenario.  Someone moderately
> junior has just joined a company or government institution.  They
> become keen on python, start playing with python, VTK and so on, and
> try and persuade others in the company to try it.  If they find they
> have to ask the accounts people for money before they install the
> bundle, or they have to build it all from scratch, they may not, which
> means lost users.

We try to advertise and make very clear that there is no charge at all
even for commercial users to just try EPD.   That same moderately junior
person could get EPD from the internet, install it and show all their
friends.

The only thing we ask is that if a company starts making substantial use
of EPD, they help defer the costs of producing it.  We are really very
keen on having as many people as possible use the tools.

We have had requests for a supported binary installation for a long
time.   So, we are responding.

Best regards,

-Travis O.