[SciPy-dev] matlab5 sparse IO

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Wed Jan 2 17:58:58 CST 2008

Hi Nathan,

> I noticed that the Matlab4 sparse writer was a little slow, so I sped
> it up using the coo_matrix format.  Anyway, I was going to do the same
> for the Matlab5 writer, but it seems to be broken.  It appears that
> the V5 code was a copy/paste of the V4 method, which it shouldn't be.
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/io/matlab/mio5.py#L662

I'm sorry - this was my fault - I did most of the initial rewrite of
the code, but haven't been paying it enough attention since then - so
thanks for your reminder.

> I don't fully understand all the magic in the matlab IO code, but I'd
> be happy to help whomever maintains it in adding sparse V5 support.

Thanks - I am sure that will be useful.  At the moment I'm trying to
recover from flu, and porting the scipy tests over to nose, an
intriguing combination.  But it would be good to get onto this soon.

Will anyone else have time to join in here?  Stefan?

Thanks again,

Matthew