[SciPy-dev] Nose testing branch - call for - er - testing

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Wed Jan 9 03:29:31 CST 2008

Hi,

> > You'll see hints on the nose stuff in the scipy.testing module, and
> > the scipy.sandbox.exmplpackage module.
> >
> I quickly tried it, and it worked (on Ubuntu with gcc). What are the
> main advantages of using nose ? Does it make the actual testing
> framework simpler, or are there any other advantages I am not aware of ?

Others could probably step in better than I can - but the main advantages are:

The testing framework is standard and well-maintained.
New tests have minimal overhead - as simple as writing a function with
'test' in the name
It will do doctests, if asked.
It's got a flexible test selection system from the command line
It does parametric tests rather nicely - see
http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/branches/testing_cleanup/scipy/sandbox/exmplpackage/tests/test_foo.py

At the moment, the main difference is only the clearing out of the
numpy testing framework specific stuff.  New tests should be simpler
to write with less overhead.

Matthew