[SciPy-dev] Nose testing branch - call for - er - testing

Wed Jan 9 04:50:16 CST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 2:58 AM, Francesc Altet <faltet@carabos.com> wrote:

> A Wednesday 09 January 2008, Matthieu Brucher escrigué:
> > > Maybe this has been already discussed, but what about its LGPL
> > > license? I understand that packages under this license should not
> > > be part of SciPy (correct me if I'm wrong).
> >
> > Nose is not included in Scipy, so there are problems. A lot of such
> > tools are GPL or LGPL (the gcc compiler for instance), but we can use
> > them for our purpose.
>
> So, I understand that it should be installed by the user, so this would
> become an added dependency, I guess :-/

I wonder if we need to exclude LGPL packages from scypy? If you link to them
or use them you aren't under any obligation, nor would anyone using scipy
put themselves at risk of having to expose their own code. They could even
remove it after running the tests. The main problem I see with the LGPL is
that the meaning is pretty obscure. It's hard to figure out just what it
says, although I think the intent is well understood.

Chuck