[SciPy-dev] numpy and scipy required for weave?

C. Ball ceball@users.sourceforge....
Mon Jan 21 00:11:15 CST 2008

Hi,

I'm trying to use the latest SVN version of weave, but I find I can't
use it unless I have both numpy and scipy installed.

First I tried checking out weave alone, but I got the following
error when I tried to install:

$ svn update
At revision 3852.
$ python setup.py install
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 16, in ?
    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
ImportError: No module named numpy.distutils.core

A reply to someone else having this problem mentions that weave should
work alone:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.scientific.user/9096/focus=9097

Installing numpy is easy, so weave depending on it is not really a
problem from my point of view. After installing numpy, however, I find
that scipy is also required:

$ python
[...]
>>> import weave
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "[...]/lib/python2.5/site-packages/weave/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from scipy.testing.pkgtester import Tester
ImportError: No module named scipy.testing.pkgtester

In the past, weave did not require scipy.

To prevent this error, all I have to do is comment out the last two lines of
weave/__init__.py:

# from scipy.testing.pkgtester import Tester
# test = Tester().test

Our software depends on weave, but we cannot require our users to
install scipy. Can I file a tracker item about this, or is the plan
for weave to become inseparably dependent on scipy?

Thanks,
Chris