[SciPy-dev] numpy and scipy required for weave?

Matthew Brett matthew.brett@gmail....
Mon Jan 21 03:54:51 CST 2008

Hi,

> Installing numpy is easy, so weave depending on it is not really a
> problem from my point of view. After installing numpy, however, I find
> that scipy is also required:
>
> $ python
> [...]
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "[...]/lib/python2.5/site-packages/weave/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
>     from scipy.testing.pkgtester import Tester
> ImportError: No module named scipy.testing.pkgtester

We recently changed over the scipy testing to have a different
framework from numpy testing, and that's the cause of your error.

As a temporary hack, you could make a pretend scipy package on your
python path, with a scipy directory, empty __init__.py file, and a
copy of the scipy source testing directory - attached.

But it shouldn't be like that of course. The plan was to have both of
the numpy and scipy testing supported from the numpy testing utilities
- this has not been done yet, partly because I don't have numpy commit
access, and partly because the resulting namespace for numpy.testing
would be a somewhat confusing mix between the two incompatible
frameworks. I think they'd both work, but it wouldn't be pretty.

The long term plan is to split off weave and f2py into a separate
package.  Perhaps it's time to think about a schedule for that?  Any
opinions on the testing fusion?

Matthew