[SciPy-dev] Namespaces in documentation

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Mon Jun 2 08:51:33 CDT 2008

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> Hi Johann
>
> 2008/6/2 Johann Cohen-Tanugi <cohen@slac.stanford.edu>:
>
>> 2) On the other hand, I must have missed something about the ipython
>> patch : using the -pylab profile isn't going to mean that people must
>> have matplotlib installed in order to cut-and-paste the docstring
>> examples? That would seem counter-intuitive at best! As a matter of
>> fact, why does it have to live in the pylab profile?
>>

> I should rephrase: under the pylab profile, which many people use,
> numpy and pyplot will now be available as np and plt.  In addition, we
> will also provide a "numpy" profile, that  provides numpy as np.
>
> So a new user will
>
> a) Install IPython, numpy and optionally matplotlib
> b) Run "ipython -p numpy" or "ipython -pylab" (if they want to plot things)
> c) Type "cpaste" and paste in an example from the docstrings
>
> Regards
> Stéfan

Hi,
Why do you say '... and optionally matplotlib'?
I do not use or even known IPython but in the example Nathan provided
you have:

>>> import numpy as np
>>> import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

So if it is optional, the second import will fail and so will all the rest of the code that uses 'plt'. But a user may not understand why especially if pasted in as a block of code in an shell or interactive environment (assuming that the environment does not crash). Further step 2 indicates that the import is inappropriate for IPython.

This really illustrates the need for simple NumPy only and SciPy only self-contained examples plus these more elaborate self-contained
examples. This also ignore the issue that this is documentation about NumPy and SciPy not matplotlib and about having an graphical environment to see the plot.

Bruce