[SciPy-dev] Error building from svn on Intel Macs.

Nils Wagner nwagner@iam.uni-stuttgart...
Wed Jun 4 05:42:02 CDT 2008

On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 17:06:27 +0900
  David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Damian Eads wrote:
>>
>> There is an example file in the Scipy source tree,
>>site.cfg.example that
>> you can modify and save as site.cfg. site.cfg is
>>necessary so the Scipy
>> build script can properly locate dependencies. AFAK,
>>UMFPACK is required
>> to build scipy.stats, which depends on scipy.sparse.
>
> I would be surprised if this were true (umfpack is only
>available under
> the GPL, and numpy/scipy have a policy to not depend on
>non BSD code). I
> don't have umfpack, and up to recently, I could build
>scipy from the trunk.
>
> cheers,
>
> David

>>> import scipy.stats
/data/home/nwagner/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scipy/sparse/linalg/dsolve/linsolve.py:20:
DeprecationWarning: scipy.sparse.linalg.dsolve.umfpack
will be removed, install scikits.umfpack instead
   ' install scikits.umfpack instead', DeprecationWarning
)

AFAIK SuperLU will be used instead of UMFPACK if it is not
available. Is that correct ?

Nils