[SciPy-dev] {Num,Sci}Py on 64bit Intel Macs with icc, ifort, mkl

Ulrik Günther ulrik@42degreesoffreedom....
Wed Jun 11 11:33:38 CDT 2008

Hi list,

some time ago, I build a version of NumPy and Scipy for 64bit Intel
Macs with the Intel C++/Fortran Compiler, which has been
a bit hackish.

I noticed that this causes some problems in the build process, but at
least compiler detection seems to work now with
the current SVN version. I'd like to ask if there is any help needed
in making NumPy and SciPy work better on Mac OS X,
specifically when targeting the 64bit part of the Intel Macs.

Glitches I've noticed were, for example, that the MKL is not
detected properly, as the Accelerate Framework is checked before and
there seems to be no option to tell the distutils that
one wants to use the Intel MKL. Additionally, some libraries fail to
link, mostly due to the Python framework not being linked
in or due to the fact that the linker is not told to use dynamic
symbol lookup.

If there my help is needed, can somebody point me to anyone who is
more familiar with the distutils (say: who knows where
in the source code which check for this and that library is and who
can give me a short overview of the build system - I already
got a, well, tentative one, but I want to avoid mistakes ;) ), so I
can fix these things up?

Thanks in advance,

ulrik