[SciPy-dev] Building numpy/scipy on RHEL5 OR CentOS5

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Mon Jun 23 10:23:50 CDT 2008

I've been wrestling with installing scipy (in any form - binary, source,
egg, rpm) on some RHEL5 machines that I am compelled to work with, and
have failed miserably.   I noticed a thread a few months back about
building scipy on CentOS 5, and noticed that at least one of the
respondents indicated he'd had success.  As I understand it, CentOS
strives for binary compatibility with RHEL, so I'm hopeful that CentOS
solutions will work for me.

Does anyone have (in order of preference):
1) A CentOS/RHEL5 yum repository for scipy/numpy/(optionally matplotlib)
2) CentOS/RHEL5 RPM's for scipy/numpy/(optionally matplotlib)
3) A set of instructions for building scipy from source on either of
these platforms?

I'm getting a little desperate here - this is likely one of the  most
difficult installs I've ever had to deal with.

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Hearne
mhearne@usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.