[SciPy-dev] Building numpy/scipy on RHEL5 OR CentOS5

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Tue Jun 24 16:08:28 CDT 2008

Actually, I discovered that it's stopping the _install_, as well, even
after I set UMFPACK="None".  Anyone have tips for dealing with that?

Steps:
(Assuming I've built LAPACK, BLAS, and numpy correctly):
1) export UMFPACK="None"
1) /usr/local/bin/python setup.py --fcompiler=gnu95 build
2) sudo /usr/local/bin/python setup.py install

results in:
building extension "scipy.linsolve.umfpack.__umfpack" sources
  adding 'scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i' to sources.
swig: scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i
swig -python -I/usr/local/include -o
build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/linsolve/umfpack/_umfpack_wrap.c
-outdir build/src.linux-x86_64-2.5/scipy/linsolve/umfpack
scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i
scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i:192: Error: Unable to find 'umfpack.h'

Is there some way to turn off UMFPACK in setup.py?

--Mike Hearne

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 14:25, Michael Hearne <mhearne@usgs.gov> wrote:
>
>> I've now passed the BLAS/Lapack stage, and am trying to build scipy.
>> However, I get the following sorts of errors from swig:
>>
>> scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i:192: Error: Unable to find 'umfpack.h'
>> scipy/linsolve/umfpack/umfpack.i:193: Error: Unable to find
>> 'umfpack_solve.h'
>>
>> I found something from the Scipy-User mailing list (from two years ago!):
>> http://projects.scipy.org/pipermail/scipy-user/2006-July/008661.html
>>
>> That indicates I should do this:
>>
>>  >>export UMFPACK = "None"
>>
>> in the shell.
>>
>> I couldn't find any umf*.h files anywhere in scipy or any of the other
>> supporting packages.  Is this another external dependency, or something
>> I can ignore using the method above?
>>

> It is an optional external dependency. If you don't need to use the
> UMFPACK functions, you can set UMFPACK=None. It shouldn't be
> necessary, though, so it's concerning that it stops the build when you
> didn't request it.

Michael Hearne
mhearne@usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.