[SciPy-dev] Building numpy/scipy on RHEL5 OR CentOS5

Phil Austin phaustin@gmail....
Tue Jun 24 16:29:03 CDT 2008

Michael Hearne wrote:
> Actually, I discovered that it's stopping the _install_, as well, even
> after I set UMFPACK="None".  Anyone have tips for dealing with that?

Mike -- I don't set the UMFPACK environmental variable, and setup.py
is still able to detect that umfpack isn't available.  I've just
done an svn update to revision 4478 and rebuilt scipy from
scratch.  The output from the build is at:

http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/pubdocs/scipy/build_output.txt

where at line 153 I've got:

umfpack_info:
   libraries umfpack not found in /home/phil/usr251_Centos/lib
   libraries umfpack not found in /usr/local/lib
   libraries umfpack not found in /usr/lib
/home/phil/usr251_Centos/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:414:
UserWarning:
     UMFPACK sparse solver
(http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack/)
     not found. Directories to search for the libraries can be specified
in the
     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [umfpack]) or by setting
     the UMFPACK environment variable.
   warnings.warn(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
   NOT AVAILABLE

I've also copied the results from

~ phil@owl% python -c 'import scipy; scipy.test("fast")'

http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/pubdocs/scipy/test_output.txt

________________________________

While we're on this topic, does anyone know why build_output.txt
reports (line 41)  a failure to find an F90 compiler

customize GnuFCompiler
Found executable /usr/bin/g77
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
customize GnuFCompiler using config
compiling '_configtest.c':

but setup.py later finds one (line 3163)?

running build_clib
customize UnixCCompiler
customize UnixCCompiler using build_clib
customize Gnu95FCompiler
Found executable /usr/bin/gfortran
customize Gnu95FCompiler using build_clib
building 'dfftpack' library
compiling Fortran sources
Fortran f77 compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
-fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx
-m3dnow -msse2 -msse
Fortran f90 compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -fno-second-underscore
-fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx -m3dnow -msse2 -msse
Fortran fix compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
-fno-second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3
-funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx -m3dnow -msse2 -msse