[SciPy-dev] Building numpy/scipy on RHEL5 OR CentOS5

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Tue Jun 24 20:57:35 CDT 2008

Phil et. al. - I believe that you and probably others do not have this
problem, but I continue to have it.  I just downloaded the most recent
svn version of scipy and re-attempted the build and install.  The build
was successful, but the install complained about ufmpack.

I ask again - is there a way to _force_ the scipy build to ignore ufmpack?

I suppose I could just download the damn thing (whatever it is), and
compile that too...

--Mike

Phil Austin wrote:
> Michael Hearne wrote:
>> Actually, I discovered that it's stopping the _install_, as well,
>> even after I set UMFPACK="None".  Anyone have tips for dealing with
>> that?
>
> Mike -- I don't set the UMFPACK environmental variable, and setup.py
> is still able to detect that umfpack isn't available.  I've just
> done an svn update to revision 4478 and rebuilt scipy from
> scratch.  The output from the build is at:
>
> http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/pubdocs/scipy/build_output.txt
>
> where at line 153 I've got:
>
> umfpack_info:
>   libraries umfpack not found in /home/phil/usr251_Centos/lib
>   libraries umfpack not found in /usr/local/lib
>   libraries umfpack not found in /usr/lib
> /home/phil/usr251_Centos/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/distutils/system_info.py:414:
> UserWarning:
>     UMFPACK sparse solver
> (http://www.cise.ufl.edu/research/sparse/umfpack/)
>     not found. Directories to search for the libraries can be
> specified in the
>     numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [umfpack]) or by setting
>     the UMFPACK environment variable.
>   warnings.warn(self.notfounderror.__doc__)
>   NOT AVAILABLE
>
> I've also copied the results from
>
> ~ phil@owl% python -c 'import scipy; scipy.test("fast")'

> http://clouds.eos.ubc.ca/~phil/pubdocs/scipy/test_output.txt
>
> ________________________________
>
> While we're on this topic, does anyone know why build_output.txt
> reports (line 41)  a failure to find an F90 compiler
>
> customize GnuFCompiler
> Found executable /usr/bin/g77
> gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> customize GnuFCompiler
> gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> gnu: no Fortran 90 compiler found
> customize GnuFCompiler using config
> compiling '_configtest.c':
>

> but setup.py later finds one (line 3163)?
>
> running build_clib
> customize UnixCCompiler
> customize UnixCCompiler using build_clib
> customize Gnu95FCompiler
> Found executable /usr/bin/gfortran
> customize Gnu95FCompiler using build_clib
> building 'dfftpack' library
> compiling Fortran sources
> Fortran f77 compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
> -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx
> -m3dnow -msse2 -msse
> Fortran f90 compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -fno-second-underscore
> -fPIC -O3 -funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx -m3dnow -msse2 -msse
> Fortran fix compiler: /usr/bin/gfortran -Wall -ffixed-form
> -fno-second-underscore -Wall -fno-second-underscore -fPIC -O3
> -funroll-loops -march=athlon64 -mmmx -m3dnow -msse2 -msse

Michael Hearne
mhearne@usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.