[SciPy-dev] Sparse cholesky from the TAUCS library.

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Tue Jun 24 22:06:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 21:45, Viral Shah
<vshah@interactivesupercomputing.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has plugged in TAUCS into scipy.
>
> http://www.tau.ac.il/~stoledo/taucs/
>
> It includes a sparse direct solver that can give us Cholesky. It also
> has incomplete factorizations and conjugate gradient. The sparse
> direct solver is used in Mathematica.
>
> I believe the license also meets the requirements - but I could be
> wrong.

Some of its dependencies may be problematic. For example, from
external/src/amdtru.c:

/* NOTICE:  "The AMD routines (AMDEXA, AMDBAR, AMDHAF, AMDHAT, AMDTRU, */
/* and AMDATR) may be used SOLELY for educational, research, and */
/* benchmarking purposes by non-profit organizations and the U.S. */
/* government.  Commercial and other organizations may make use of the */
/* AMD routines SOLELY for benchmarking purposes only.  The AMD */
/* routines may be modified by or on behalf of the User for such */
/* use but at no time shall the AMD routines or any such modified */
/* version of them become the property of the User.  The AMD routines */
/* are provided without warranty of any kind, either expressed or */
/* implied.  Neither the Authors nor their employers shall be liable */
/* for any direct or consequential loss or damage whatsoever arising */
/* out of the use or misuse of the AMD routines by the User.  The AMD */
/* routines must not be sold.  You may make copies of the AMD routines, */
/* but this NOTICE and the Copyright notice must appear in all copies. */
/* Any other use of the AMD routines requires written permission. */
/* Your use of the AMD routines is an implicit agreement to these */
/* conditions." */

I'm not sure how much these files are required.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco