[SciPy-dev] Install error on RHEL5

Michael Hearne mhearne@usgs....
Mon Jun 30 11:10:24 CDT 2008

I just finished an install of numpy/scipy/matplotlib on a 64-bit RHEL5
system, and am now trying to replicate that on a 32-bit system.  So far,
there are two differences:

1) fftw3 is not available through yum on the 32-bit system, so I built
it from source.
2) Attempting to build scipy results in the error below.

Attached is a PDF with the notes (most of which came from Phil Austin) I
compiled after installing on the 64-bit system.

I'm currently recompiling ATLAS (which takes an amazingly long time),
and then will try to rebuild LAPACK, BLAS, etc.  Before I get there,
does anyone have any idea what the root of the below error might be?

 usr/local/bin/python setup.py build
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 53, in <module>
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 28, in setup_package
    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__init__.py", line
103, in <module>
    import linalg
  File
"/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/__init__.py", line
4, in <module>
    from linalg import *
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/linalg.py",
line 29, in <module>
    from numpy.linalg import lapack_lite
ImportError:
/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/linalg/lapack_lite.so:
undefined symbol: cblas_zgemm

Thanks,

Mike

Michael Hearne
mhearne@usgs.gov
(303) 273-8620
USGS National Earthquake Information Center
1711 Illinois St. Golden CO 80401
Senior Software Engineer
Synergetics, Inc.