[SciPy-dev] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Stefan Seefeld seefeld@sympatico...
Thu Mar 6 19:57:09 CST 2008

Robert Kern wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:29 PM, John Ollinger <ollinger@wisc.edu> wrote:
>> Fernando,
>>
>> When I wrap a C package I spend 95% of my time modifying the package to run
>> as a library and 5% of the time hand-wrapping it for python.  I find that
>> hand-wrapping makes me more aware of the interface than using swig, so I can
>> recode portions of the library to make the overall package work better.  A
>> quick look at the cyrex documentation makes me wonder if it is primarily
>> written for those who haven't written much C-code..  Is this an accurate
>> impression?
>
> No. Using Cython or Pyrex eliminates an enormous amount of the
> boilerplate involved in writing a C extension especially when it comes
> to implementing types. They are definitely not the same kind of tool
> that SWIG is. Instead, they are tools to make hand-wrapping less
> painful, perhaps even pleasant.

Has any thought been spent on using boost.python for this ? If so, what
were / are the arguments against it ?

(http://boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/html/index.html)

Thanks,
		Stefan