[SciPy-dev] Splitting sparsetools_wrap source file ?

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Sun Mar 9 22:12:38 CDT 2008

Robert Kern <robert.kern <at> gmail.com> writes:

> If anything that would just exacerbate the problem. All of the SWIG
> utility functions would be repeated for each module. In any case, I
> split the file into 2 and the total time for compiling both is about
> the same as as compiling the current sparsetools_wrap.cxx. This would
> be a win for parallel builds, but until numscons is the official build
> system, I'm against making changes as invasive as splitting up an
> extension module just to optimize for that.

It is not so much the build time that the memory consumption which I found
problematic. It is becoming difficult to build scipy on my laptop with 512 Mb
(compiling the sparsetools_wrap.cxx with gcc -O2 takes around 400 Mb, and some
compilers are even worse), or on virtual machines.

Is the patch really that invasive ? Splitting in 2 or 3 would already be good if
the memory consumption reduction is decreased by the same order.

cheers,

David