[SciPy-dev] Splitting sparsetools_wrap source file ?

Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail....
Fri Mar 14 07:51:05 CDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 10:15 AM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  I am not suggesting giving up swig or C++ templates. But the problem is
>  >  not the cost of memory: when virtual machines came into the game, you
>  >  hit really quickly the 32 bits limits (or more exactly, the fact that
>  >  most computers cannot physically handle more than 4 Gb of Memory). For
>  >  example, when I test numscons on solaris, I use indiana, which is a
>  >  binary distribution of open solaris available for free, and the VM takes
>  >  more than 1 Gb of ram when compiling sparsetools. Even on my recent
>  >  macbook with 2 Gb of Ram, I am at the limit. And virtual machines are
>  >  the only way for me to test many platforms (and build bots too often run
>  >  on vmware).
>
>  Are you saying that g++ fails to compile on the VM, or that it starts
>  swapping to disk?

David, I came across this blog post which should address your problem:
http://hostingfu.com/article/compiling-with-gcc-on-low-memory-vps

I compiled sparsetools_wrap.cxx on with "g++ --param ggc-min-expand=10
--param ggc-min-heapsize=8192" and memory usage peaked at 225MB (on a
32-bit machine).  Setting ggc-min-expand=0 takes ages (I threw in the
towel at 20 minutes), so I don't recommend that setting :)

Please let me know if the problem persists.

--
Nathan Bell wnbell@gmail.com
http://graphics.cs.uiuc.edu/~wnbell/