[SciPy-dev] scikits learn

Bruce Southey bsouthey@gmail....
Mon Mar 17 09:33:27 CDT 2008

Hi,
This should be reported as a bug as should any Python 2.4 version code
because neither NumPy nor SciPy require only a 2.5 series of Python:

The SciPy FAQ (http://www.scipy.org/FAQ) page states that NumPy requires
Python 2.3.x or 2.4.x or 2.5.x
SciPy General building instructions:
http://www.scipy.org/Installing_SciPy/BuildingGeneral - To build SciPy,
Python version 2.3 or newer is required.

Sure, I know that the Python 2.3 is about 4 years old (2.3.4 released
May 2004) but some long terms stability distros (like Centos 4) may not
updated Python to even Python 2.4 let alone Python 2.5.

I understand that scikits are somewhat special so the requirements of a
scikit need to be clearly stated and the scikit should exit if an
inappropriate version of Python is used. Note this type of check is
going to be essential for Python 2.6 (Python 2.6a1 Released: February
29th 2008)  and Python 3.0 (Python 3.0a3 Release: February 29th 2008)
because Python 3.0 will break backwards compatibility.

Regards
Bruce