[SciPy-dev] scikits learn

Wed Mar 19 22:13:38 CDT 2008

Bruce Southey wrote:
> I understand that scikits are somewhat special so the requirements of a
> scikit need to be clearly stated and the scikit should exit if an
> inappropriate version of Python is used. Note this type of check is
> going to be essential for Python 2.6 (Python 2.6a1 Released: February
> 29th 2008)  and Python 3.0 (Python 3.0a3 Release: February 29th 2008)
> because Python 3.0 will break backwards compatibility.

I don't know about the general policy for scikits, but in the present
case, it was just because I was not aware the try/except/finally
construction was python 2.5 specific.

Generally, I did not work on scikits.learn for the last 6 months because
of my work on numscons (there is a limit on what I can do besides my PhD
:) ), sorry about that. Since numscons starts being in good shape, I
hope to be back on scikits soon (there will be a scipy/numpy meeting
with other scipy/numpy people in a few weeks, and scikits.learn will be
one of the main topic for sure)

cheers,

David