[SciPy-dev] Dropping djbfft ?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon May 12 15:17:50 CDT 2008

2008/5/12 Pearu Peterson <pearu@cens.ioc.ee>:
>  djbfft is important for applications that need only the 2^n sizes support
>  and here djbfft have speed advantage over other fft implementations.
>  For some of these applications the fft speed can be crusial.

I'm not so sure this is true any longer.  From the FFTW discussion
page on Wikipedia, by one of the authors of FFTW:

"""
Nowadays, both djbfft and pfftw are trounced on Intel processors by
anything that uses SSE/SSE2 instructions, such as recent FFTW versions
or the Intel Math Kernel Libraries.
"""

Here pfftw refers to their implementation of fixed size, out-of-order
FFTs (what djbfft does).

As for the licensing issue which someone else brought up: djbfft
doesn't even have a license (not on its website, anyway).  It is also
no longer supported (last release 1999).  That's extra ammo for the
"release frequently" argument in the other thread: if you don't, then
people think your project is dead!

I'm of the opinion that, unless benchmarks show an advantage to
keeping djbfft, keeping it around may be more trouble than it is
worth.

Regards
Stéfan