[SciPy-dev] Dropping djbfft ?

Tue May 13 00:06:12 CDT 2008

Anne Archibald wrote:

> How about a third approach (which I think may be what Robert Kern was
> suggesting)? Simply SWIGify (or cythonify or f2pyify) each library, so
> that they each provide their own API to python. Then write the
> detection/wrapper code in python, where it's relatively easy to muck
> about with dispatching and API finagling.

Yes, in my mind, that's the same thing: the complicated part is not the
wrapping (it is already done through f2py anway), but the
"libification", that is making sure that each backend is independant.
Doing it from scratch is easy, doing it gradually while keeping
compatibility is more work.

But well, since dropping djbfft was not an option, I went forward, and I
am almost done having one backend = one library in the refactor_fft
branch. I still need to fight with distutils, but I know it well enough
to win this time :)

cheers,

David