[SciPy-dev] fftpack: building all backends and setting them at runtime (was dropping djbfft)

Fri May 16 02:08:44 CDT 2008

Pearu Peterson wrote:
> I agree on the independence. On the other hand, the signatures of
> wrapper functions should be identical for all backends

Yes, that's my  main concern, specially if the code is put in scikits
and get a life on its own, we should make sure the C code call
convention is the same (the other solution would be for each backend to
provide a fatter wrapper, with fft implementation at the python level,
but then there is python code duplication).

> The content of signature files that can be different for different
> backends, is the callprotoargument and callstatement sections in .pyf files.

Ok, bear with me here for being slow, but I don't know anything about
f2py :)  Do the callprotoargument and callstatement apply to all
functions from the included functions ?

> Note that the wrapper function names do not need to contain the name
> of a backend.

At the C level, the function should certainly have different names, and
I didn't find how to wrap a C function foo_bar as a foo function in the
f2py generated module. I didn't look for long, though.

cheers,

David