[SciPy-dev] [Numpy-discussion] [SciPy-user] ANN: NumPy/SciPy Documentation Marathon 2008

Sat May 17 16:08:02 CDT 2008

2008/5/17 Joe Harrington <jh@physics.ucf.edu>:
> Ryan writes:
>> This is very good news.  I will find some way to get involved.
>
> Great!  Please dive right in, and sign up on the Developer_Zone page
> so we can keep track of who's involved.
>
> One thing I forgot to mention in my too-wordy announcement was that
> discussion of documentation is on the scipy-dev mailing list.  We had
> to pick one spot and decided that since we are going after scipy as
> soon as numpy is done, we'd like to use that list rather than
> numpy-discussion.  We also wanted to keep it on a development list
> rather than polluting the new users' discussion space.

This sounds like a great idea! I have a few questions, though:

* Am I supposed to be able to edit the wiki? If I go to, for example,
http://sd-2116.dedibox.fr/doc/Docstrings/numpy/core/multiarray/empty
and click on any of the "edit" links I am told I don't have permission
to edit the page, in spite of having registered.
* How and when are merges back from the wiki into the docstrings going
to happen? Presumably, since any examples will become doctests, this
will require substantial human intervention to fix all the broken
tests (and remove instances of "shutil.deltree('/')" and the like).
* Is there some special format the wiki markup needs to be in to
ensure that the reST docstrings are properly formatted?
* What fate is planned for the Numpy Example List and its progeny?
Presumably everything in the basic Example List should be moved into
docstrings (and therefore become doctests)? The categorized example
list would presumably then develop links to the function documentation
pages instead...

Anne