[SciPy-dev] Docstring editing request on SciPy Doc Wiki

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon May 19 14:45:22 CDT 2008

2008/5/19 Pauli Virtanen <pav@iki.fi>:
> Currently the workflow is roughly like so:
>
> 1) Collect docstrings: (see pydoc.dtd)
>
>  pydoc_moin collect source-tree module > docstrings.xml
>
> 2) Upload docstrings (overwrite current ones):
>
>  pydoc_moin moin-upload-local /moin_location < docstrings.xml
>
> 3) Download docstrings
>
>  pydoc_moin moin-collect-local /moin_location > new_docstrings.xml
>
> 4) Replace docstrings in sources, one bzr commit per docstring
>
>  pydoc_moin bzr docstrings.xml new_docstrings.xml bzr-tree
>
> 4b) Or make a patch
>
>   pydoc_moin patch docstrings.xml new_docstrings.xml source-tree > docs.patch
>

> What happens after this is up to the person doing the merge.
>
> If the source tree is indeed managed with bzr, one could use its merge
> capabilities for doing all the merges, conflict resolution, or cherry
> picking. At the moment it seems to me that the "correct" workflow for
> this case would be to
>
>  - Always keep the wiki bzr branch in sync with the stuff in the wiki.
>     (Wiki needs to be locked at some point so that we don't
> accidentally
>     overwrite change not in bzr.)
>
>  - Periodically merge wiki's bzr branch with SVN, resolve conflicts,
>    and push changes back to the wiki.
>    (But don't push changes in wiki back to SVN.)
>
>  - At times, cherry-pick good docstrings to SVN.
>    I'm not sure bzr is smart enough to mark these as no-op merges
>    when merging the changes back to wiki's bzr branch.
>
> But I think Stéfan had objections to this workflow?

I was concerned about the situation arising where we have very
different docstrings in SVN and on the wiki.  As long as we keep the
wiki in sync with SVN, I am happy.

Regards
Stéfan