[SciPy-dev] petsc4py support? (segfault)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon May 19 15:54:24 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Neilen Marais <nmarais@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying out petsc4py, but running into trouble. While it's hosted on
> http://code.google.com/p/petsc4py/, there doesn't seem to be any mailing
> lists/forums. Where is the best place to get support?

Here's a reasonable place for now. Ondrej Certik and Robert Cimrman
show up fairly regularly here, and I've seen Lisando Dalcin
occasionally. Unfortunately, I don't have any specific help for you.
However, if you run python under gdb, you can get a backtrace which
could help you identify the problem. This is what it looks like on my
Mac; it will look different on Ubuntu, but the major features (run,
continue) should be done in the same sequence:

$ gdb python
GNU gdb 6.3.50-20050815 (Apple version gdb-768) (Tue Oct  2 04:07:49 UTC 2007)
This GDB was configured as "i386-apple-darwin"...Reading symbols for
shared libraries .. done

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/python
Reading symbols for shared libraries +. done

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
0x8fe01010 in __dyld__dyld_start ()
(gdb) continue
Continuing.
Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done
Python 2.5.1 (r251:54869, Apr 18 2007, 22:08:04)
Reading symbols for shared libraries .. done
>>> import petsc4py.PETSc

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."