[SciPy-dev] scipy.distance

Anne Archibald aarchiba@physics.mcgill...
Sun Nov 2 13:01:27 CST 2008

2008/11/2 Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>:
> Hey,
>
> Damian Eads is joining the Berkeley sprint today and we were hoping to
> make a change that was discussed at the SciPy conference and on the
> list a few times.  As part of his hierarchical clustering work, Damian
> wrote a module for a bunch of different distance functions:
> http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/cluster/distance.py
>
> This is obviously much more generic and useful than the domain of
> clustering.  So we were proposing to make distance a top-level
> subpackage called:
>  scipy.distance
>
> Before he made the change, I wanted to run it by the list one last
> time and see if anyone had any thoughts, comments, or suggestions.

Very nice code!

It seems closely related to scipy.spatial. It was agreed, fairly
reasonably, that the new code in scipy.spatial wouldn't go into 0.7,
but this could quite reasonably go into scipy.spatial now, I think.
Just where to put it isn't so clear - if scipy.spatial already existed
and were populated, I would be tempted to put this as
scipy.spatial.distance.

Anne