[SciPy-dev] scipy.distance

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Sun Nov 2 18:51:58 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 4:47 PM, Damian Eads <damian.eads.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a chance to peruse the code in the spatial branch, and it looks
> like there are a considerable number of tests for the kd-tree code. It
> seems mature enough for it to be incorporated into the 0.7 release as
> a technology preview. I think we should move that code over into the
> trunk too, since this will give us more feedback from early adopters
> and testers so we can better refine. It should also be noted, we are
> changing the module index in the documentation to indicate those
> modules/packages that are part of the technology preview.

+1
I think that it would be better to get the kd-tree code out in this
release, but clearly mark it as a technology preview.  This will give
us the opportunity to get more feedback and testing without any major
restrictions on improving the API.  I know that there was some
concerns that including new code could slow down the release of 0.7,
but I don't think that has to be the case.  Since it is a technology
preview and isn't changing current behavior; as long as it compiles
and doesn't create a lot of noise for testing, I don't think I will be
necessary to delay the release for it.

Thoughts?

--
Jarrod Millman