[SciPy-dev] License review / weave bsd-ification

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Nov 3 03:51:12 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:30 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> +1 on all this. Practicality beats purity. It is going to be pretty hard
> to explain to people that they have to install a bunch of different
> packages get a full working environment.

Well my vote is to move weave out of scipy (and has been for some
time), but it seems like there is some interest in keeping it as part
of scipy.  I am not going to have anymore time to work on weave for
the next week.  But I am opposed to releasing another version of scipy
with GPL code; so this needs to be fixed or removed before the 0.7
release.  I also want to have all tests passing before we release 0.7,
which means that all the weave tests need to pass as well.

If you feel strongly about keeping weave in scipy, now would be a good
time to step up and get weave in shape for the 0.7 release.

There are a number of weave test failures that need to be fixed.  Here
is a ticket with some (there may be more, I am not sure):
http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/490

It looks like the license issue can be resolved.  Newer versions of
the Mersenne Twister random number generator have a more liberal
license:  http://www.math.sci.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/~m-mat/MT/MT2002/elicense.html
Is anyone willing to volunteer to get the newer version working?  Is
it worth considering moving this code out of weave and making the MT
RNG more generally available?

Thanks,

--
Jarrod Millman