[SciPy-dev] License review / weave bsd-ification

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Nov 3 11:07:58 CST 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 00:17, Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I have been working to ensure that all the code in scipy is correctly
> licensed.  One of the main issues was the blitz code in weave.  I
> contacted the authors and we were given permission to use the code
> with a BSD license:  http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/ticket/649
>
> I just finished most of the changes in:
>  http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4949
>  http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/changeset/4949
>
> I found one file in blitz that I am not sure what to do about:
>  http://scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/weave/blitz/blitz/rand-mt.h
>
> Any ideas? thought? suggestions?

To clarify a few things that came up in this thread:

* The license in question is the LGPL, not the GPL.

* The upstream source of rand-mt.h (the original Mersenne Twister C
source) changed from the LGPL to a BSD-style license, so we're fine
for that part.

* The C++ modifications by Allan Stokes still require his permission
to change the license.

* But as David points out, it's not actually used anywhere in weave.
We can just remove it.

* numpy.random is a Mersenne Twister implementation.

* scikits is not a project like scipy. It's just a namespace for
packages. You install each individual scikits package independently.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco