[SciPy-dev] scipy.stsci to scikits?

Christopher Hanley chanley@stsci....
Mon Nov 3 13:37:11 CST 2008

Damian Eads wrote:
> +1 keep ndimage in SciPy
I have made no claim that ndimage should be moved.  The ndimage code is
separate from the code I am discussing.

> +1 please clarify what you mean by image modules. Do you mean to be
> inclusive of ndimage?
I am referring to the code in the directory:
scipy/scipy/stsci/

These are modules that were once distributed as part of numarray because
we needed them for our STScI code.  There is code that we and other
astronomers still use that depend on these modules.  ndimage does not
depend on these modules in any way.

> Image processing seems pretty generic and fundamental. It's useful
> throughout many fields including pathology, medical imaging,
> astronomy, remote sensing, computer vision, multimedia, enviromental
> science, and meteorology. When I first started using SciPy, ndimage
> was the reason I downloaded it. I'm sure quite a large number of
> scientists depend on it. I guess before I argue any further, I'd ask
> you to clarify what you mean.
>
> Damian

I am all for generic image processing and would encourage as many people
  as possible to use and support ndimage.  That being said, these other
modules still need to be kept around for compatibility.  I am arguing
that they be moved to a scikit because they do not support N-dimensional
array processing.  I see scipy as a general purpose scientific computing
environment and scikits as more specialized packages.  If you need more
specialized array processing, grab our scikit.  Otherwise just stick
with scipy and don't worry about having to install yet-another-package
that you will never see or use.

This is my current thought process.  Keep in mind that I am not saying
anything should or shouldn't be done with ndimage.  I am only addressing
what is currently in the scipy.stsci namespace.

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher Hanley