[SciPy-dev] scipy.stsci to scikits?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Mon Nov 3 14:12:51 CST 2008

2008/11/3 Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>:
> It seems to me that a 2D image processing package would be useful and
> appropriate in scipy.  We currently have two places that it may make
> sense to put 2D image processing functionality:
>  scipy.signal
>  scipy.ndimage
>
> Is it reasonable to merge the scipy.stsci functionality into either
> ndimage or signal?  Would it be better to rename stsci to image
> perhaps?

I'd love to see scipy.image happen!

I'm a bit worried about ndimage.  Much of its functionality can now be
written in pure Python, with the backing of NumPy.  The code is not
well supported (I don't think many others often dive in there), and I
know of some fundamental bugs (for example the boundary extension
modes "mirror"/"reflect", which is broken due to assumptions about the
underlying spatial structure of an image; or missing 64-bit support).
I've started porting the C-API to NumPy a while ago, but never got
around to finishing the job.  It may well be time to give this module
a good refactoring.

Cheers
Stéfan