[SciPy-dev] a modest proposal for technology previews

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Tue Nov 4 02:39:59 CST 2008

2008/11/4 Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com>:
> Right now, though,  I don't see how scipy.preview is preferrable to
> another staging ground like, say, scikits.forscipy.  In fact, I see how
> it might be a bad thing as it basically brings back the sandbox under a
> different name (although one could argue it's a sandbox that actually
> gets distributed).

I see `preview` fulfilling two roles:

1) Exposing a package meant to be included in SciPy to the majority of users
2) Allow developers to make use of user feedback,  made possible
because the API of packages in `preview` are still under review.

In this light, I think `preview` fulfills a distinctly different role
from the sanbox.  In it, we shall put the packages that will
definitely end up in SciPy in one or two releases.  It allows us to
get the build process sorted out and the code integrated, but with a
layer of protection for the developers.

Regards
Stéfan