[SciPy-dev] a modest proposal for technology previews

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Nov 4 02:40:02 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 12:23 AM, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 09:19:54AM +0100, Olivier Grisel wrote:
>> > It could be a good policy to tell people developing scikits to upload
>> > sources to pypi whenever they do a release (I am as guilty as other in
>> > that department).
>
>> As a scikit user, +1 for using pypi more systematically for scikit
>> releases (being source only release without setuptools if setuptools
>> is unable to manage the binary properly). I think it would help
>> scikits gain more visibility in the python community as a whole and
>> hence scipy too. The pypi RSS feed is relayed on various (sometimes
>> manually postfiltered) aggregators and it can help gain a lot of
>> pagerank.
>
> Actually, I am +1 on that too. My caution about setuptools is just what
> it is caution. I am not saying we should not be using it, or PyPI, to
> provide services that nothing else provides.

Anyone who wants to should feel free to add a note about this on the
scikit's dev page:
  http://scipy.org/scipy/scikits/wiki/ScikitsForDevelopers

I don't think anyone would disagree that new releases should be posted to pypi.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley