[SciPy-dev] Technology Previews and Sphinx Docstring Annotations

David Cournapeau cournape@gmail....
Tue Nov 4 06:18:31 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 6:47 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> 2008/11/4 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>:
>> problem, no ? Here is the main page for this on CRAN:
>>
>> http://cran.r-project.org/
>>
>> If we had the same system, such as you could simply upload your package
>> tarball, and it would give you back a windows installer (then available
>> on pypi), it would make installation quite smooth. Even smoother than
>> with scipy, actually, since you could release a binary at any point.
>
> That would be great.  But currently, this is all vapourware.

Yes, but if the code is included in scipy.preview instead, the burden
would be on scipy package managers. Not many people want to spend time
on release management, and if we can furnish binary installers once a
year, I don't see how incorporating the code into scipy.preview helps
the review compared to doing it elsewhere. IOW, a CRAN-like system is
vaporware, but not more than regular scipy releases.

If binary packages don't matter, then I don't see the advantage of
putting it in scipy.preview in the first place, since uploading it to
pypi makes it as easy if not easier for people to get their hand on
the sources.

Jarrod mentioned that only mature packages would be put in
scipy.preview: but how can a package be matured if people have not
tried it out ? That's why IMO the problem really is a release process
more than anything else. Once this is solved (and it has to be solved
anyway), we can put a review process in place, but at this point, when
the package is officially reviewed, it does not matter where it is as
long as it is easily available.

David