[SciPy-dev] scikit for dae

Benny Malengier benny.malengier@gmail....
Thu Nov 6 08:12:58 CST 2008

2008/11/6 David Cournapeau <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>

> Robert Kern wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 07:06, Benny Malengier <benny.malengier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> With all the talk of integration of new code and the difficulties
> involved,
> >> I decided to rewrite my patch to scipy.integrate to add a dae solver, as
> >> scikit instead: scikits.odes
> >>
> >> Is this acceptable?
> >>

> > Absolutely.
> >

> >> If allowed as a scikit I could add some further backends
> >> (I'm thinking of 2).
> >> It would ease my hacking on it, allow collaboration, and enable more
> >> extensive testing (only linux 64bit here). The code would be more
> accessible
> >> too being available with easy_install, instead of a patch set.
> >>
> >> The patch is here: http://cage.ugent.be/~bm/progs.html<http://cage.ugent.be/%7Ebm/progs.html>
> >>

> > We'll get you SVN access so you don't have to distribute this as a
> > patch. In the meantime, can you turn this into a tarball? scikits is
> > not a monolithic package. It's just a namespace. You don't have to
> > patch the main scikits repository (or even *use* the main scikits
> > repository) to provide a scikits package.
> >

> Also, if you are not so familiar with setuptools, and you missed it, I
> put an example package which shows how to set up a scikits with the few
> commands to put your releases to pypi.
>
> http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scikits/browser/trunk/example

I looked at it. I don't see fortran mentioned. I guess in my case with
fortran files only source distribution is possible via pypi, yes?

I further noted on my end that installing installs a .egg archive, and then
the code to test does not run:

import scikits.odes
scikits.odes.test()
Running unit tests for scikits.odes-0.01-py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg.scikits.odes
NumPy version 1.3.0.dev5972
NumPy is installed in /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy
Python version 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Jul 31 2008, 17:31:22) [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu
4.2.3-2ubuntu7)]
nose version 0.10.4
ERROR: Failure: OSError (No such file
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/scikits.odes-0.01-py2.5-linux-x86_64.egg/scikits/odes)

If I install in the old style method :
sudo python setup.py install --single-version-externally-managed --root /

The above works though. Is there some command I should add to make the egg
work too?

Benny