[SciPy-dev] Do we care about the LAPACK C interface?

Brett G. Olivier bgoli@sun.ac...
Sun Nov 9 11:17:21 CST 2008

Travis E. Oliphant wrote:
> Robert Kern wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 17:27, Travis E. Oliphant <oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm sitting here in a BOF with Clint Whaley (the author of ATLAS).  He
>>> is looking for information about people that care about the C interface
>>> to LAPACK.  Do we care?
>>>
>>> I'm not clear on that.  Don't we just use the FORTRAN interfaces to ATLAS?
>>>
>>> If I hear from you soon, I can give Clint the information before I leave
>>> the BOF.
>>>
>> Query: Are you talking about just the C interface to LAPACK or the C
>> interface to the BLAS, too? I definitely want to keep the BLAS C
>> interface. It would be nice if there were a C interface to the entire
>> LAPACK, but I don't think that ATLAS (or anyone else) provides that
>> currently. That way, we would be able to worry less about mixing and
>> matching Fortran compilers (e.g. your distro builds ATLAS's LAPACK
>> with g77 and you want to use gfortran to build scipy). But since
>> ATLAS's LAPACK is a mixture of C and FORTRAN, I think we may be pretty
>> much stuck with that problem regardless.
>>

> Clint Whaley has written some more C interfaces to LAPACK and was
> wondering if anybody cared (or if he should stop doing it).   It sounds
> like we should let him know that his efforts in this direction are
> useful to us.

Hi,

Full support from us! This might be a bit late, but we use both the C (if
available) and F LAPACK interfaces in our SciPy dependent software. These
efforts would be highly appreciated.

Cheers, Brett.