[SciPy-dev] arpack wrapper status

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Wed Nov 12 17:54:08 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 17:45, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did they refuse to re-license ARPACK under something explicitly
>>> compatible?
>>
>> I don't know. One should ask the arpack developers.
>>

> Aric, do you want to take the lead on this one?  If not, I can give it a try.
>
> I'm not sure what is required from them.  Does an email stating "we
> agree to release ARPACK under the standard, three-clause BSD license"
> suffice?

Preferably, they would cut a new tarball with the new license text.
It's also unlikely that the authors have the right to change the
license. The copyright is owned by Rice University, so we need at
least an email from an authorized person in Rice's technology transfer
department (or whatever they call it). We could get going with just
that, but getting that email will probably take significantly longer
than making a new tarball once they get permission.

Either way, I'm fairly certain that we will not get a positive
response before we need to cut a beta release. We should start
removing the code soon.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."