[SciPy-dev] symeig integration ready

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Tue Nov 18 13:27:20 CST 2008

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 10:05 AM, Tiziano Zito <opossumnano@gmail.com> wrote:
>  Is it OK to break backward-compatibility? Code would only break if
>  someone was specifing keyword arguments as positional arguments...
>  Same thing for the eigvalsh routine.

That's OK with me, but I don't have a strong opinion on it.

> - I added 129 tests to test_decomp.py using the marvelous nose
>  parametric tests feature. They run pretty fast, and they excercise
>  all relevant lapack routines with most (but not all) combinations
>  of parameters.  Is it OK? Should I flag those tests as "less"
>  important so that they are not run by default?

That is excellent!  I would just leave them as is for now.  I would
rather have the tests running relatively aggressively for the upcoming
0.7.0b1 release by default.

> If everything is all right with you I would commit the changes
> tomorrow. I will also continue to provide symeig as a standalone
> module until scipy 0.7 is released and a corresponding debian
> package is available. A new release with all changes (and bug-fixes
> :-)) I made to incorporate it in scipy will be released soon.

Thank you very much for putting the effort into getting this done.  If
you could, I would appreciate it if you would add this to the release
notes:

http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/doc/release/0.7.0-notes.rst

--
Jarrod Millman