[SciPy-dev] are masked array statistical function hidden intentionally?

Pierre GM pgmdevlist@gmail....
Tue Nov 18 15:52:16 CST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 4:35 PM, josef.pktd@gmail.com wrote:

> scipy\stats\mstats.py and scipy\stats\mmorestats.py are masked array
> version of many of the statistical function.
>
> They are not imported in any __init__.py and I did not find them in
> the new documentation for scipy at
> http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/stats.html.
>
> Is this on purpose or not?

I'd say yes. I tried to keep the names of these functions as close to
their non-masked equivalent as possible. Import ting them in __init__
would likely erase the non-masked ones (or vice-versa depending the
import order). It's not that difficult to access them through:
from scipy.stats.mstats import thefunctionyouwant
or
import scipy.stats.mstats as mstats

About the documentation: well, I guess I should take the blame for not
having written more thorough docstrings.  However, I'm not in charge
of building the whole doc.

Now, I wonder whether it wouldn't be worth to consolidate things a
bit, by making sure a function returns a masked array if its input is
a masked array, a ndarray otherwise...