[SciPy-dev] Reverting eigh code ?

Fri Nov 21 22:18:25 CST 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 4:44 PM, David Cournapeau
> <david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>
>> If nobody complains within the beta time, I will remove it myself,
>>

> Let's give it 24 hours before removing it.  I want to take a look
> before making a judgment; but, in principle, I would be OK with some
> *minor* rough edges in the first beta if someone is willing to commit
> to fixing them before the release candidate.  But the beta should be
> feature complete so we need to decide whether to remove the eigh code
> before we tag the release.

I agree with the above principle in general but in that case:
     - it is a fortran issue, and worse happens in call to external code
(BLAS/LAPACK)
     - the feature was added a few days ago (hence nobody really tested
it, and nobody really depends on it either)
     - in that precise case, it is hard to know if it is minor or not
(the problem seems to depend on the LAPACK version; I can't reproduce it
on every machine I have at hand).

So if the feature is known to break for the beta, it means we will need
at least two beta. Which I would rather avoid just for that issue,

David