[SciPy-dev] the state of scipy unit tests

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Nov 24 00:57:31 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I got busy with other things.  Here's the diff for decorators,
> with an implementation that works with generators and also allows the
> test condition to be a callable (very useful for conditions that you
> want to evaluate only at suite run time, not at import time).  I
> hadn't sent it because I wanted to polish it and write some tests for
> it, but here it is for now.

Thanks, I created a ticket and attached your patch:
http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/957

> I also included a patch for the verbosity problem: the issue is that
> we're hardcoding '-s' in the test runner, which suppresses stdout
> capture.  This should instead be an option for the user (like
> test(capture=False)).  That diff just disables -s, so it's not
> finished, but I don't have time right now to implement the complete
> solution.  At least I hope pointing in the right direction will be
> useful if someone else can finish.

Currently, when running scipy.test('full') there is a large amount of
information printed to the screen.  Presumably, this information is
being printed out because the test writer is using it for debugging
information.  Your patch (to remove the '-s' option) will help in this
respect, but we will need to do more.  Just to state my goal:  I would
like to change the scipy.test so that it behaves more like numpy.test:

  In [1]: numpy.test('full')
  Running unit tests for numpy
  NumPy version 1.3.0.dev6099
  NumPy is installed in
/home/jarrod/usr/local/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/numpy
  Python version 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Jul 10 2008, 17:25:56) [GCC 4.1.2
20070925 (Red Hat 4.1.2-33)]
  nose version 0.10.3
  ..............<dots repeat>.........K......<dots repeat>..
  Ran 1768 tests in 4.235s

  OK (KNOWNFAIL=1)

That is it just prints '.' and letter codes.

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley