[SciPy-dev] the state of scipy unit tests

Jarrod Millman millman@berkeley....
Mon Nov 24 02:15:54 CST 2008

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, I don't argue against different purposes test suite, but about
> what goes in the default.

I would like to see different defaults (one for the development trunk;
one for binary alpha, beta, and rc releases; and possibly stable
releases).

For the development trunk, we need a quick and relatively complete
default test suite.  This will make it easier for developer's to adopt
the habit of running the full test suite before checking in any
changes to the trunk.  If a developer wants to run a more complete
test suite, they should be able to run the full suite whenever they
want.

For the binary alpha, beta, and rc releases, we want the default test
suite to be as complete as possible so that we get better feedback
from early adopters without having to get them to run the tests with
many options.  I was imaging something like when building the
binaries, I would need to set a flag which could easily be done in the
scripts for building binaries:
  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/tools/win32/build_scripts
or could use the release flag, which is already being set:
  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/scipy/browser/trunk/scipy/version.py

For binaries for stable releases, we should decide whether we want the
default test suite to favor speed or completeness.

Thoughts?

--
Jarrod Millman
10 Giannini Hall, UC Berkeley