[SciPy-dev] the state of scipy unit tests

Mon Nov 24 02:26:06 CST 2008

2008/11/24 Jarrod Millman <millman@berkeley.edu>:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 11:59 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sure, I don't argue against different purposes test suite, but about
>> what goes in the default.
>
> I would like to see different defaults (one for the development trunk;
> one for binary alpha, beta, and rc releases; and possibly stable
> releases).

There may be issues with this when people modify some packages deeply,
but in a way not caught by the standard test battery. And then, when
you go to alpha, you get hundreds of failing tests, and it's so
overwhelming that you have to start the test battery from scratch.

It could be better to have a scipy buildbot, like for numpy, that runs
all the tests, and people before committing just check the most
important tests. This way, you don't get hundreds of failing tests
once you reactivate them, you can still track where the errors come
from, and the test time for a single developer remains small
(although, he could only check the result of the tests on the package
he's modifying).

Matthieu
--
Information System Engineer, Ph.D.